Versha World

Sports

NZ legend Williamson retires from international cricket

New Zealand legend Kane Williamson has retired from all international cricket with immediate effect. The 35-year-old featured in the first Test against England at Lord’s, registering a duck and 18, but will play no further part in the three-match series, which will resume at The Oval on 17 June. Williamson retires as New Zealand’s leading all-format run-scorer, with 19,346 runs, including 48 centuries and six double hundreds, in 378 appearances between 2010 and 2026. As the Black Caps’ most prolific Test batter, he scored 9,515 runs at an average of 54.06, including 33 centuries, in 110 matches. Williamson captained New Zealand on 206 occasions between 2012 and 2024, leading the side through a golden period when they won the inaugural World Test Championship in 2021 and reached the finals of the 2019 World Cup and 2021 T20 World Cup. Explaining his decision, Williamson, who ended his T20I career in November, said: “I’ve thought about it for a while, but over the last few days it’s become clear now is the right time. “I’ve always felt a strong drive and hunger for international cricket, and I take pride in knowing I’ve given it my all in every match I’ve played for New Zealand.

Educational

Royal show organisers stress educational value

The organisers of an agricultural show insist it does offer children an educational experience, amid new figures illustrating school absences. Newly published Department for Education (DfE) data showed there was a spike in absences coinciding with last year’s Royal Norfolk Show (RNS). A record 15,000 children are expected to attend this year’s event at the Norfolk Showground, near Norwich, on 24-25 June. Royal Norfolk Agricultural Association chief executive Mark Nicholas is director of the show and said attending presented a “fantastic opportunity” for young people. Rob Sykes/BBCMany young people take part in the livestock showing classes at the RNS The DfE analysis compared absence rates for schools in Norfolk between the second day of the 2025 show and the previous Thursday. A higher rate of absences was shown across all year groups, with Year 9 boys up the most at 5.1%, compared with 0.8% across England for the same age group. The show was used as an example alongside similar increases in absences among Year 9 and 10 girls in the Liverpool area when Taylor Swift was performing in the city in June 2024. The analysis also found absence rates were higher across all year groups on days that coincided with pupils’ birthdays. Nicholas said many children attend the RNS to take part in livestock competitions and musical performances. He said: “It’s not just coming with the school group to visit the education and learning aspects relating to food farming and countryside. “The Norfolk and Suffolk Music Hub run a huge programme of live music and entertainment and the majority of groups taking part are school bands, school choirs.”

Educational

What are UV levels and how can you protect yourself?

What is UV and why can it be dangerous? UV radiation is emitted by the Sun and penetrates the Earth’s atmosphere. It enables our skin to produce essential vitamin D, which is important for the function of bones, blood cells and our immune system. But too much UV can be harmful. It can lead to skin cancer by damaging DNA in skin cells. UV also plays a substantial role in skin ageing, contributing to wrinkles and loosened folds. It has also been linked to eye problems, including cataracts. “Every exposure to UV, especially every sunburn, increases our risk of skin cancer,” says Prof Dorothy Bennett, from St George’s, University of London. “Melanoma, the most dangerous skin cancer, is now the fifth commonest cancer in the UK.”

Interntional

Iran says no new commitments on nuclear sites after Vance says inspectors to be invited back

Iran has denied a claim by Vice-President JD Vance that it will allow nuclear inspectors back into the country, after the first round of talks between Washington and Tehran to reach a final deal to end the war. Following negotiations in Switzerland, Vance said discussions with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) could be happening “as soon as today”. But Iran’s foreign ministry told state media that Tehran had made “no new commitments” on nuclear inspections. It came as the US temporarily waived sanctions, allowing Iran to sell oil in US dollars for the first time in decades. In a joint statement released on Monday, mediators Qatar and Pakistan said that after the first round of talks in the Swiss resort of Bürgenstock, the US and Iran had agreed to “a roadmap towards reaching a final deal within 60 days”. Vance described the talks as having laid a “very good foundation”. The US vice-president said the teams had discussed the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz and “de-confliction for the regional ceasefire”. The 60-day sanctions waiver issued by the US Treasury on Monday dismantles central pillars of Washington’s long-running embargo, which has historically choked off Tehran’s economy. The emergency licence authorises the production, sale and delivery of Iranian crude and petrochemicals until 21 August. Iranian oil can even be imported directly into the US, under the sanctions relief. It unlocks banking transactions, insurance and transportation and does away with the complex networks that Iran has previously used to sell crude. EPA Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said that in exchange for the 60-day waiver, Tehran had committed to keeping the vital Strait of Hormuz open and allowing IAEA nuclear inspectors back into the country. Speaking in Switzerland on Monday morning, Vance was asked by reporters when nuclear inspectors would be returning to Iran. He said he expected the process to start “at a minimum this week”, but conversations with inspectors “could happen as soon as today”.

Business

Dettol apologises after ad to clean up ‘toxic men’ backfires in China

British hygiene brand Dettol has apologised for an advert in China that it claims was meant to call out sexism, but has instead backfired. The five-minute long advert for a multipurpose disinfectant, styled like a micro drama, starts out with a man looking for a partner who is “clean” and “not tainted by other men”. A plot twist comes late in the advert when his new girlfriend calls him out for his misogyny and breaks up with him. Dettol is then presented as the solution against “toxic men [who] are just like bacteria”. The advert sparked an uproar on the Chinese internet, with some users saying it objectifies women and others calling for a boycott of the brand. Dettol said the advert, which has been removed following the backlash, was intended to criticise gender stereotypes, but that snippets of it that later circulated online distorted its core message. “We recognise that it has offended many people, especially women. We take responsibility for any negligence in creating and reviewing the content of the advert,” Dettol said in a statement on Monday. The company also said it would review its content moderation processes. Dettol was founded with a mission to “protect the health” of families, it said, adding: “But we are well aware that true protection also lies in safeguarding the dignity of every individual and their right to be treated equally.” The advert has sparked heated discussions across Chinese social media platforms over the last few days, with many people angered by its attempts to compare a person’s “purity” with the disinfecting abilities of Dettol products. “What a trashy advertisement. It’s left me speechless,” a user wrote on Weibo, China’s X-like platform.

Sports

A Golden Boot race for the ages – but who will come out on top?

It is fast becoming a Golden Boot race for the ages. Lionel Messi leads the way with five goals from two games. Kylian Mbappe and Erling Haaland are second in the standings with four goals each. This is only the second time in World Cup history where three players have scored four or more times after two matches – and the first since since 1954. It was another extraordinary few hours of goalscoring from some of the best forwards football has seen. Messi was up first – breaking the World Cup goals record with a double for Argentina against Austria. Mbappe responded in kind with two goals in France’s weather-delayed victory against Iraq on his 100th international appearance. And it was Haaland’s turn soon after, scoring twice as Norway beat Senegal to qualify for the last 32. Not a bad start to his own World Cup career. Anything one can do, the others can do better. It has that feel about it at the moment – and this is before Harry Kane has the chance to add to his opening-day double as England face Ghana on Tuesday.

Business

Australia’s coal and gas exports violate our human rights, group says in new UN case

A group of Australians have accused the government of violating their human rights by continuing to export coal and gas and are asking the UN to take action. The group say their lives have been harmed due to extreme weather in Australia – bushfires, floods, heatwaves, rising sea levels and toxic algal blooms – and the government’s support of fossil fuel companies is to blame. It is the first legal claim taken to an international body or court since 2025’s ruling by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) that countries can be sued over climate change. Any decision by the UN is not legally binding but Australia – one of the world’s largest coal and gas exporters – would be expected to respond. The BBC has contacted Environment Minister Murray Watt for comment. Dr Barry Traill, a wildlife ecologist and volunteer firefighter, is one of the ten litigants. In 2009, several of his friends died during the devastating Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, despite being prepared and experienced, he said. “That deeply changed me,” Traill said, and “it became clear that the old rules around fires and survival no longer applied”. In 2019, he was on the frontlines battling severe blazes in Queensland during the so-called Black Summer fires where he saw that climate change was not a future problem. “It is already killing people and hurting lives, landscapes and communities across Australia,” he said. “Continuing to allow coal and gas companies to increase pollution, while people face worsening disasters, is a profound failure of responsibility.” Brendon Donohue has also joined the legal claim, describing how he was trapped in his home for 10 days in 2022 when floods in Brisbane damaged the power supply of his apartment block, meaning the lifts, intercom and exits were not accessible. “Because I live with blindness and mobility challenges, climate impacts affect me differently and can make everyday life much harder to navigate safely,” he said. Rebecca ParkerBrendon Donohue was trapped in his Brisbane apartment for 10 days due to floods in 2022 Another case is that of Prof Anne Poelina, an Indigenous woman from the Kimberley region in Western Australia, who describes being displaced from the area around the Fitzroy River, one of the state’s most important waterways, because of catastrophic flooding. “When the river is healthy, our people are healthy,” she said, and “when the river suffers, our people suffer.” “What concerns me most is the intergenerational loss of cultural knowledge,” she added as “so much of our knowledge is not written down”, but passed on by being physically present on the land. One of the lawyers helping the group with their claim said that “climate harm caused by Australia’s coal and gas doesn’t stop at a border, and neither does Australia’s responsibility for it”. “They are asking the United Nations Human Rights Committee to declare that it’s unlawful for Australia to continue approvin

Sports

Is Gasly’s podium justice or a can of worms best left unopened? F1 Q&A

Round eight of Formula 1 season takes place in Austria this weekend in the stunning surroundings of the Styrian hills. Last time out in Barcelona, Mercedes were beaten in a grand prix for the first time this year with Lewis Hamilton taking victory. The Briton’s first grand prix win for Ferrari, combined with Kimi Antonelli’s retirement late in the race, narrowed the gap at the top of the drivers’ championship to 41 points. Before Sunday’s race in Spielberg, BBC F1 correspondent Andrew Benson answers your latest questions. A retrospective podium for Pierre Gasly. Justice? Or a can of worms best left unopened? – Clive Formula 1 has clearly got itself in a bit of a pickle regarding the pit-lane speeding penalties in the Monaco Grand Prix. The facts are that five cars were given penalties for pit-lane speeding when none of them had gone over the limit. The length of the pit lane had been mis-measured – it was possible to drive a shorter distance than officials initially realised, by 77cm. And as the pit-lane speed limit is policed by the time taken to pass through a series of timing loops over a specific distance, that meant the drivers were wrongly penalised. This led to a sequence of events that had a dramatic effect on the race result. George Russell was most badly affected by what followed, having a third place turned into a 12th and losing 15 points in the process. But McLaren’s Oscar Piastri and Red Bull’s Isack Hadjar also had their results changed. Is it justice that Gasly is returned to a third place at the flag that he lost because Alpine refused to serve his penalty during the race, while the other drivers’ results are unaddressed? Should the stewards who dealt with Alpine’s right of review over the Barcelona weekend have left it at that, and not raised the very obvious questions that followed on from it? In terms of natural justice, the answer to both those questions is clearly no – there remain a number of issues raised by this situation that have not properly been dealt with.

Interntional

Chris Mason: Questions multiply for the man tipped to replace Starmer

Westminster is a postcode whose currency is power – and power is shifting, quickly. Two key moments on Monday accelerated the likelihood of one key outcome. Not only did Sir Keir Starmer set out a timetable for his departure but the biggest potential rival to Andy Burnham, Wes Streeting, folded and endorsed the former mayor of Greater Manchester. So not only did we learn that Sir Keir will soon be gone, but we got the strongest possible indication yet that it is highly likely to be Burnham who is his successor and possibly very quickly. Burnham would be the UK’s fifth prime minister in four years. The photographs of the new MP for Makerfield beaming in the presence of hundreds of Labour MPs sit alongside the images of Sir Keir and his wife, both emotional, in illustrating that brutal transfer of power. Take the sight of Chancellor Rachel Reeves at Burnham’s event. She wasn’t spotted earlier, outside her own home, 11 Downing Street, when staff and some senior ministers applauded the prime minister as he set out his resignation plans. 1:46 Watch: A day of big changes and mixed emotions for Labour Senior figures hope to retain big jobs in government and there is a new man to impress. Those making the case for retaining Reeves at the Treasury would point out that she has maintained the confidence of the markets and keeping her in post might help Burnham do the same. But others tell me it is highly unlikely he would keep her on, given how closely she is associated with Sir Keir’s administration. Some whisper Streeting may replace her, although he denied to me he’d been offered the job by Burnham. But after the theatre and drama of Monday, the hard questions for the Labour Party and for Burnham beckon. And some are already worried. They fret about what all this looks like. A bloke who wasn’t even a parliamentary candidate at the last general election and wasn’t even an MP this time last week, could be prime minister by this time next month. “And remember he’s run for the Labour leadership twice before and lost,” one minister pointed out to me, adding: “And not only that. He lost to two losers – Ed Miliband and Jeremy Corbyn.” Miliband lost the 2015 general election. Corbyn lost the 2017 and 2019 general elections. More on this story Sir Keir Starmer’s premiership in six charts A decade on from Brexit, the new PM has big calls to make on Europe So what is driving Burnham’s current magnetism? In short, he is seen as a winner and Sir Keir is seen as a loser. And not just any winner – a winner against Reform UK, in a part of the country where Reform did very well in the English local elections last month. Without question, Burnham didn’t choose an easy seat to contest to return to Parliament. But it is also true to say that he is very popular in Greater Manchester and his popularity remains largely untested beyond. “It feels like lots of Labour MPs are dashing for a train that’s about t

Scroll to Top